From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: k_f@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AMD64 Arch Testers needed urgently
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 01:17:33
1 On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 12/14/2017 09:21 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 >>> It seems like lagging stability is due to a lack of resources. I do
5 >>> not know a single person who would be able to run only stable
6 >>> packages.
7 >>
8 >> I run stable only on most of my systems.
11 > That is fine, but this thread exists because at least the OP thinks
12 > stabilization is not happening quickly enough, likely because there
13 > are not enough people working on it. Allowing stabilization work from
14 > mixed systems might allow more people to help.
15 >
16 >>> They seem to move too slowly, and people switch to unstable
17 >>> packages because they contain bugfixes and sometimes new features.
18 >>
19 >> slow isn't necessarily a problem, as long as security fixes are handled.
20 >> There is some balancing for large performance gains, but most existing
21 >> systems are scaled based on the current estimates so it would only be
22 >> relevant for the up sizing of the server park for growth needs etc.
23 >>
24 >>>
25 >>> Could the criteria for stability be reconsidered? Mixed systems might
26 >>
27 >> why would it?
30 > Per the question posed by OP the current state of affairs does not
31 > seem to be working, and I have tried to point out one likely cause. If
32 > it's hard to justify the criteria for stability then maybe the
33 > criteria don't make sense.
34 >
35 >>> not be supported, but save for cases of ABI/API breakage (which can
36 >>> happen when transitioning from stable->stable) I do not know why the
37 >>> packages would not play well with each other. I am sure there are
38 >>> examples where things have blown up, but it seems like expecting that
39 >>> to be the case isn't helping.
40 >>
41 >> There are plenty of cases where this fails in miserable ways, so thats
42 >> not a good idea (not to mention the dependency hell from it). That said,
43 >> you can have a stable chroot, or just use a VM for testing etc.
46 > Can you be specific? Human memory is biased towards negative
47 > experiences. If it's hard to actually describe the multitude of issues
48 > that mixed systems cause then it is very likely mixed systems do not
49 > cause many issues.
50 >
51 > Personally, I have very few problems due to my mixed system, and less
52 > than I would have on a stable system.
53 >
54 > Cheers,
55 > R0b0t1
56
57 I'm not trying to be confrontational, but asserting an opinion is
58 correct without explaining why that it is so isn't really conducive to
59 arriving at the truth. I understand not wanting to answer if I am
60 completely clueless, and would like to apologize in advance for
61 bothering the developers.
62
63 I am not very smart, sir.
64