From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 01:54:09
1 Thomas Anderson wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:11:51PM +0100, George Prowse wrote:
3 >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:34:56 -0400
5 >>> Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> I'd honestly like to see an official PMS project page i.e.
7 >>>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pms/
8 >>> There's http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/pms.xml . Unfortunately, rane
9 >>> decided to go and vandalise it for some reason and no-one working on
10 >>> PMS appears to have commit access to it...
11 >> I would like to comment that the wording on that page is unacceptable.
12 >>
13 >> "With the advent of alternative package managers, this ill-defined standard
14 >> is no longer sufficient..." makes it sound like the previous work that was
15 >> done was by idiots.
16 >> --
17 >> gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list
18 >
19 > That says nothing about the previous state of the portage. It only says
20 > the standard wasn't well-defined before PMS.
21 >
22 It sounds and looks bad. It is so poorly written it looks as if the
23 author is saying "the last one was crap so we have to do a better one".
24 In fact, "ill-defined" needn't be in there at all. "this is no longer
25 sufficient" is sufficient. A better thing to write would be:
26
27 "With the advent of alternative package managers a further defining of
28 standard is necessary..."
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list