From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Thomas Beaudry <tmbeaudry@×××.com>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About gcc3.1.1
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:15:06
1 On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 20:02, Thomas Beaudry wrote:
2 >
3 > You don't need to do anything unless the ebuild screws with the install
4 > process. The gcc install process makes the last version installed the
5 > default version. Other versions can be invoked with the version flag.
8 Not in Gentoo land. The ebuild have a function that tries to "detect"
9 if it should be installed as the default, or alongside 2.95.3. If
10 you are for instance not in the gcc3 profile, then it wont install
11 as default, because the "default-1.0" profile will break with only
12 gcc3 installed.
13
14 > Caveat: The frontend installed with gcc3.x is incompatible with gcc2.x
15 > according to the web site so it will not be able to invoke your 2.95.3
16 > compiler. Of course it's possible that the ebuild does something to
17 > the install to get around this problem. I have no idea as I only use
18 > the latest compiler.
21 > >Dear people at Gentoo,
22 > >
23 > > Yesterday I installed gcc3.1.1 in my Gentoo sytem. The problem is
24 > >that, as it needs gcc (2.95.3) to be compiled, after the installation I
25 > >have 2 gccs. One, the 2.95.3, is gcc and the other one, 3.1.1, is gcc3-
26 > >1. I want to make 3.1 my default compiler for C, C++, etc. How do I do
27 > >it?. By now, I have moved gcc and cc to gcc-old and cc-old and made
28 > >symbolic links to gcc-3.1, but it seems not to be an elegant way.
31 > >Thanx.
32 > >Igor Modino
36 > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com
39 > gentoo-dev mailing list