From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 22:47:31
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Dawid Węgliński <cla@g.o> said:
3 >
4 >> You mix it up. Portage works with python 3.1. If an user switches to python
5 >> 3.1 as the main interpreter, it's possible that his own scripts won't work.
6 >> Marking it stable sometine in november give's some time to ebuilds
7 >> maintainers to fix their python based apps just like it's done with gcc
8 >> stabilization.
11 > And you are mixing that up. We never mark GCC stable before we fix
12 > everything we have identified as a problem, or pretty close to
13 > everything.
17 That will be the next thing he wants to stabilize without testing. I
18 been using Gentoo for more than 5 years and this is the first time I
19 ever recall someone wanting to mark something stable that has not been
20 tested for quite some time and in the normal way. Add in that this is
21 something that portage itself depends on, this just sounds like a really
22 bad idea. I hope someone puts a hold on this.
23
24 Dale
25