From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ignoring/overwriting IUSE from an eclass
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:26:45
1 On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:04:47 +0100 Piotr Jaroszyński <peper@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > Yes, I do want to bet. You don't have a clue what you're talking
4 | > about and you don't have a clue how to use bash substitution
5 | > correctly.
6 |
7 | Have you bet that you won't be kicked from gentoo also?
8
9 Oh, I think it's a pretty safe bet that *I* won't be kicked out of
10 Gentoo. But since you like that kind of argument, why do you love
11 Hitler?
12
13 | Normally I never quote in bash substitution, but I don't pay so much
14 | attention when I write something rather as a curiosity.
15
16 The quoting is not the issue.
17
18 | > Just what do you think will happen when another eclass sets
19 | > IUSE="X" and it's supposed to be kept?
20 |
21 | It depends, If it is inherited after x-modular It would be kept, but
22 | how about coming down on earth? We are talking about specific
23 | situation here and I doubt that smth inheriting x-modular would like
24 | to have X useflag - all in all that's the case here - such packages
25 | shouldn't have X useflag.
26
27 And this is the kind of short sighted thinking that leads to
28 maintenance nightmares later on. There are a lot of "I doubt"s and
29 "shouldn't"s here that don't apply to other solutions.
30
31 | > Just what do you think will happen when another eclass sets
32 | > IUSE="Xaw3d"?
33 |
34 | Specially for you and your pink elephants:
35 | E_IUSE=${E_IUSE// X }
36 | E_IUSE=${E_IUSE#X }
37 | E_IUSE=${E_IUSE% X}
38
39 No go. Arbitrary whitespace is allowed.
40
41 And now maybe you start to see why a *proper* solution is required.
42
43 | > Just what do you think will happen when Portage internals change?
44 | > This has happened several times with those variables?
45 |
46 | E_IUSE was added in 2.0.50-r10 or r11 and was never changed.
47
48 And the other E_ variables? Those have changed quite a bit.
49
50 | > Your solution is approximately on par with fixing a wobbly chair by
51 | > sawing off all four legs and then attaching what's left to a
52 | > crocodile. With the kind of idiocy you're spewing, do you really
53 | > wonder why people have no faith in Sunrise?
54 |
55 | You are great at comparisons - maybe you should be a poet like Homer?
56 | People would have more faith in you then.
57
58 I don't expect people to have faith in me. I expect people to read what
59 I say, think about it and then understand that I'm right.
62 Ciaran McCreesh
63 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
64 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
65 as-needed is broken : http://ciaranm.org/show_post.pl?post_id=13