From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 11:18:14
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2017 08:29 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On 08/12/2017 03:03 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> Please provide some examples of recent in-place USE changes that benefit
7 >>>> from revbumps.
8 >>>>
9 >>>
10 >>> There is no single example. Things only get simpler if *all* USE changes
11 >>> come with a new revision.
12 >>>
13 >> This policy change would make my life easier, because for big packages
14 >> it would encourage maintainers to not make IUSE changes until they do
15 >> revbumps, which would save me a build. I'm running on relatively old
16 >> hardware at this point so these rebuilds actually do cost me quite a
17 >> bit of time. I'm not sure that not using --changed-use is a great
18 >> option though as it will make it that much harder to keep things
19 >> consistent when I do modify my package.use/make.conf.
22 > At least now you have the option to run without --changed-use if you
23 > want. If inline IUSE changes are completely banned, you will definitely
24 > see more pointless rebuilds on your old hardware.
25
26 True, since we now have --changed-use (I think this is a relatively
27 recent portage feature - before there was only --newuse).
28
29 Obviously if I stopped using --changed-use then my installed
30 configuration would drift out of sync with the settings in
31 /etc/portage. I'm not sure that this causes any other issues in this
32 case - there certainly have been issues historically in these
33 situations but I think most of them have been eliminated. Changed
34 dependencies can definitely cause problems, but I'm less certain that
35 changed IUSE does.
36
37 > In my experience most
38 > developers make a change when there's a change to be made, and don't
39 > "save up" changes until some arbitrary delta is reached. We've already
40 > an increase in revbumps like this in other areas where inline changes
41 > are being discouraged.
44 I imagine that such practices vary. I know I personally tend to save
45 up minor changes for major revisions to reduce the need for testing.
46
47 Ultimately though I think the real question is whether not revbumping
48 has the potential to break things. I does for dependency changes
49 which is why that policy change was made (and I still run with
50 --changed-deps anyway because I don't trust devs to not mess this up).
51 I think we do need to have more clear evidence that IUSE changes break
52 things before we should consider requiring revbumps for this.
53
54 It would be nice if big packages waited for revbumps to make IUSE
55 changes, but honestly the occassional chromium rebuild doesn't bother
56 me that much. Most of it happens with cron anyway.
59 Rich