From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 00:05:33
1 Mike Gilbert posted on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:55:10 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Alexander Hof <gentoodev@××××××××.net>
4 > wrote:
5 >> Mike Gilbert wrote:
6 >>> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Michael Palimaka
7 >>> <kensington@g.o> wrote:
8 >>>> On 14/11/14 01:05, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
9 >>>>> Isn't it possible to disable C++ in GCC with USE="-cxx"?
10 >>>>
11 >>>> It is, but I think if that's disabled you're on your own. :-)
12 >>>
13 >>> Perhaps we should add a package.use.force entry for this. Is there any
14 >>> reason not to?
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >> There are people that don't want c++ and gcc:4.7 can still bootstrap
18 >> without.
21 > Those people "know what they are doing" and could un-force the use flag.
22 > That would prevent people from accidentally disabling it via USE="-*".
23 >
24 > I'm not normally one to prevent people from shooting themselves, but in
25 > this case the safety would be simple to toggle.
26
27 The problem is the precedent that sets. (Package.)use.force is the
28 equivalent of "going nuke" and IMO it should be kept that way.
29
30 ^^ TL;DR ^^
31
32 Overriding use.force (package or otherwise) should be clearly no-man's-
33 land, something done only for stuff like cross-compiling, etc, so far out
34 of gentoo support that normally nobody sane would ask for it under those
35 conditions, and if they did, they'd clearly mention the conditions and
36 explain why they thought the override was necessary and didn't affect
37 whatever bug they were seeing.
38
39 Use.forcing something isn't even /close/ to default-use, which can be and
40 is routinely overridden by people (including me) who "know what they are
41 doing" with USE=-*, and as soon as use.forcing something, and then
42 overriding it, becomes normal and routine, then we'll need a "really
43 force" option to override use.force, much like use.force was the "really
44 force" option to override use-defaults.
45
46 So I'd suggest (package.)use.forcing isn't appropriate with c++, because
47 there /are/ legitimate reasons to unset it, as already discussed, and as
48 soon as people start having to do that with the one flag, nobody user or
49 dev in gentoo is going to be able to assume (package.)use.force isn't
50 routinely overridden ever again. Again, then we'll need a
51 (package.)use.force.really option, and the race will be on to
52 (package.)use.force.yes.I.really.really.really.really.mean.it!
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman