From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: .gitignore
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 00:22:01
1 On 08/13/2015 05:28 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > wireless posted on Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:33:13 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On 08/12/2015 09:52 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 >>> On 12 Aug 2015 18:27, Brian Dolbec wrote:
6 >>>> 2) There is another alternate location that you can define files to
7 >>>> ignore locally without having to commit them to .gitignore.
8 >>>> Consider .gitignore a global setting. There is another setting inside
9 >>>> .git/info/exclude which is a local config file that will persist and
10 >>>> not be affected by pulls.
11 >>>
12 >>> as i stated, there's no reason for these paths to ever be committed.
13 >>> conversely, some people (not unreasonably so) will place files in there
14 >>> that have historically had known meanings. adding these to the global
15 >>> gitignore is simply the right thing to do and negatively impacts no
16 >>> one.
17 >>
18 >> As a gentoo user now coding again, I find the need to have things
19 >> "logically organized" really helps in my efforts. Like most others, I
20 >> get codes from a variety of places and try to follow the 'logical gentoo
21 >> organization'. I use /usr/local/portage extensively for ebuilds that I
22 >> develop. There is also /opt/ which seems to collect up a variety of
23 >> ebuilds
24
25 > Confused...
26 >
27 > What do /opt and /usr/local/portage have to do with the gentoo
28 > repo's .gitignore, which should only need ignore settings for locations
29 > inside the main tree, /usr/portage by default? A .gitignore listing for
30 > /usr/portage/local and /usr/portage/distfiles, etc, makes sense, since
31 > that's inside the default tree location. But /opt and /usr/local/portage
32 > aren't inside that default location and are thus about as apropos to that
33 > as the price of tea on Mars, aren't they?
34
35 <snip>
36 /distfiles/
37 /local/
38 /packages/
39 <end/snip>
40
41 Other postings in this thread mention /var/ and /usr/....
42 My bad, I thought those official directories that were up for
43 discussion on gitignore relevancy?
44
45 > /usr/portage/local was the original location for the user's own
46 > personal ebuild space - an "overlay" if you will.
47 > /usr/portage/distfiles and /usr/portage/packages are there because
48 > that's where ports has put them for decades, and no-one has gotten
49 > around to changing it in portage yet. FreeBSD defines the use of /usr
50 > very differently to what Linux users are used to.
51 >
52 > Those dirs really should be in /var/portage, and the user's overlay
53 > has no business being under main tree itself
56 Ok, so why is net-analyzer/jffnms found in /usr/portage/distfiles yet it
57 is installed in /opt/ ? If jffnms was (properly) installed like other
58 net-analyzer packages, would it not be in the portage tree? There is no
59 reason for it to remain in /opt/, that I'm aware of.
60 But jffnms could benefit form gitignore as other packages do, regardless
61 of where it is installed.
64 Looking at the documentation for gitignore it would seem that the
65 benefits of using gitignore on those /opt/ packages could be useful; so
66 would it not be up to the particular package maintainer to make that
67 decision? Regardless of where non-devs develop packages for gentoo,
68 using gitignore might be useful during the development of the packages,
69 particularly if it is destine for the portage tree (eventually).
70
71 Apologies in advance if I have missed some key points already
72 established by the gentoo dev community.... I'm certainly no whiz with git*.
76 James