From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enroll users for testing packages
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:42:08
1 Eldad Zack wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Sometimes it becomes a problem whenever a new release or a tricky bugfix comes
5 > up for a certain package.
6 > To improve QA we can let our userbase help, especially people who use certain
7 > packages quite heavily - they can provide good or even superior QA than devs.
8 >
9 > I think it would be a nice idea to keep a userlist for anyone who'd like to
10 > volunteer testing packages they regularly use.
11 >
12 > We can consider a web interface for enrolling users to specific packages, and
13 > maybe even get a bug.g.o account for the list, this way a bug can be opened
14 > for the testers to comment on whenever a change that requires testing or
15 > maybe just aiding arch teams to stablize packages.
16 >
17 > Maybe this was already pitched but it has just occured to me.
18 >
19 > Comments?
23 Isn't this why we already have the arch tester position as described by
24 GLEP 41 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0041.html)?
25 Furthermore, are you saying that users would enroll themselves via this
26 hypothetical web interface, or that an arch team would do so for users
27 who have proven themselves to be worthy? If the former, this would be a
28 serious step back in terms of QA (think about sorting out all the crap
29 reports from ricer overlay users with OMGFAST CFLAGS from the decent
30 ones). If the latter, I think the arch tester position already covers
31 this sort of thing.
32
33 -Steve
34 --