From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Creation of 'virtual/vi' to satisfy builds
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:28:48
1 Brad Laue wrote: [Wed Jul 09 2003, 01:00:16PM EDT]
2 > I'm running into builds requiring the 'ex' binary, which is provided
3 > by several vi clones.
4 >
5 > I'd like to suggest the creation of 'virtual/vi' to satisfy this
6 > problem. Are there any comments/objections?
7
8 In principle, I don't have a problem with this, but I have a couple
9 questions:
10
11 1. Does having a virtual require that only one of the options is
12 installed at a time? I recall this being the case with
13 ssmtp/postfix/etc, but maybe that's specific to those ebuilds.
14 I wouldn't want Gentoo to be restricted to a single vi-clone on a
15 system.
16
17 2. What are the builds that require ex? That's a pretty strange
18 requirement, to be honest. Most builds I've seen require ed for
19 non-interactive editing, not ex.
20
21 3. What about the case where you install vim, then install nvi, then
22 uninstall nvi? In that case /usr/bin/ex will disappear from the
23 system (because the files conflict between packages), but the virtual
24 will still be "satisfied".
25
26 4. What are the ebuilds that provide ex? At first glance, I only see
27 nvi and vim.
28
29 Aron
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list