From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 15:30:30
1 On 03/02/17 08:43 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/03/2017 08:21 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> How about rather changing our defaults to satisfy the minimalists who
5 >>> don't mind drastically reduced functionality and usability in pursuit
6 >>> of "minimalism" we just strive to make USE="-*" mostly usable, so the
7 >>> minimalists can get what they want, while still having sane defaults.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> I'm in favour of this too -- I know we don't "officially" support
11 >> USE="-*" but I think we should still strive to make it work with
12 >> minimal effort to end-users -- that effort being mainly setting
13 >> whatever is necessary for REQUIRED_USE resolution.
16 > It will never be easy, because USE="-*" overrides your profile. What
17 > people want is a way to have USE="-*" apply between the base profile and
18 > the one that they select.
21 ok you lost me. Could you provide an explicit example of what you
22 would want to see enabled in the profile (while everything else is
23 disabled) that you don't get when USE="-*" is set?
24
25 It's sounding more and more like you just want to be able to turn off
26 all IUSE defaults, and you can effectively do that by changing the USE
27 order can't you?