From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] LXDE project
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:13:22
1 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I recently got interested in LXDE[1], the Lightweight X11 Desktop
5 > Environment, and I would like to see this available in portage. At the
6 > moment there are, to my knowledge, 3 overlays maintained by users that
7 > include ebuilds for lxde. I think it is time to combine efforts and get
8 > these packages into the official tree.
9 >
10 > I have therefor created an LXDE project page[2] under the Desktop
11 > top-level project. My idea is to initially start an official overlay and
12 > develop the needed packages in there. I am actively encouraging users to
13 > participate in development and maintenance, and of course I am extending
14 > the invitation to any Gentoo developers who would like to join. I don't
15 > want to spread myself too thin, and having more experienced developers
16 > involved with the project would be a good thing.
17 >
18 > Any constructive feedback is welcome!
19 >
20 > [1] http://lxde.org/about.html
21 > [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/lxde/
22
23 I started using LXDE when I was trying out a bunch of lightweight
24 alternative distros -- it really is nice to run; lighter than even Xfce.
25 Once you get the packages into Portage and stabilized, I'll be happy to
26 write up the installation guide; it deserves a spot right up there with
27 our Gnome/KDE/Xfce/Fluxbox guides.