From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ironing out release tarballs
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 17:01:30
1 On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:34:22 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > background:
5 > everyone wants @system to be slim, but most people want the initial
6 > stage tarball that we release and you install Gentoo from to not be
7 > completely sparse. we've got a bug for this topic:
8 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/393445
9 >
10 > items to sort out:
11 > - should the list of packages be in catalyst or profile-stacked
12 > content -> imo it should be entirely in the profile
13
14 fully agree
15
16 > - should the packages list be in a new packages.default, or should we
17 > create a new set to hold it, or should we just go with @profile ?
18 > -> @profile has the advantage of already existing. we have to be
19 > careful so as to make it difficult to uninstall packages that the
20 > user does not actually want.
21 >
22 > - if the packages aren't in @profile, should they be seeded in
23 > @world ? -> imo yes as we don't want all the default packages
24 > getting depcleaned as soon as you start using the new install. if
25 > they're in @profile, then this is a moot point (assuming depclean
26 > does not clean out @profile).
27
28 some kind of 'world' file in profiles like the 'packages' one that is
29 just used to populate world file after (or just before) stage3 build ?
30
31 not sure if sets provide the same flexibility: i can imagine iputils in
32 that set, but also another embedded profile with
33 busybox[make-symlinks], or the bsds
34
35 > - should stage3 be @system only, or @system+@profile, or
36 > @system+@profile+packages.default ?
37 > -> this depends on the previous discussion a bit. today, stage3's
38 > are @system, but imo @system+@profile is reasonable. see next
39 > question too.
40 >
41 > - should we release stage4's instead of stage3's ?
42 > -> if we keep stage3 as @system-only, then we'd build stage4's which
43 > would add @profile/whatever
44 > -> downside is that we've been training the world to download &
45 > install stage3 for almost 15 years
46 > -> imo as long as the default @profile is kept slim, adjusting the
47 > definition of a stage3 is OK
48
49 i also think it's better to adjust stage3 if it is kept relatively slim,
50 but i'm pretty sure there'll be demand for @system only stages
51
52 Alexis.