From: Chris Houser <chouser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage-1.9.0_pre1
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:21:28
1 I've just added a portage-1.9.0_pre1 ebuild. It is portage 1.8.0 plus
2 the ability to run as a non-root user. In fact, it defaults to running
3 as non-root, unless you use the '--stayroot' command-line option on
4 either ebuild or emerge.
5
6 You'll probably want to chown your /var/tmp/portage tree to whatever
7 user you normally develop as -- 'chouser.users' in my case.
8
9 This package is masked, so you'll have to either adjust your
10 /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask or just use ebuild to merge it.
11 Either way, it *replaces* your existing portage, so if you want to go
12 back to a non-experimental portage, you'll have to merge whichever one
13 you want.
14
15 There is still work to be done -- a couple of known bugs and another
16 feature or two to add, but >90% of the ebuilds and operations that I do
17 work fine, and using the --stayroot flag works around another 8%.
18
19 Note that currently you cannot merge the sandbox package on top of this,
20 but there is no reason that future versions cannot be compatible. In
21 fact, this is a goal, so that future versions of portage can have both
22 path sandboxing and user-id protection.
23
24 So have fun -- let me know if you find problems, and I'll try to fix
25 them.
26
27 --Chouser