From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage 2.0.51 comments/questions
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:05:09
1 Chris Gianelloni posted <1096321571.15324.16.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:46:11 -0400:
3
4 > profiles
5
6 OK, now that contradicts what Nic Jones said, that it should be singular,
7 /etc/portage/profile. Which is is?
8
9 BTW, I see someone referring to /etc/portage/virtuals again today, and
10 that's the whole thing that raised the question about profile or profiles,
11 since portage complained that the direct under portage virtuals location
12 was depreciated (I like to put placeholder files in place, so I don't
13 have to go digging up the info when I need it, I just go edit my
14 placeholder file, so I created /etc/portage/virtuals immediately after
15 switching to .51 as I'd seen it mentioned, and had portage squawk about
16 it) and said I should use profiles/virtuals instead, but then I saw a
17 reference for another file to profile/*, and wondered if they were the
18 same dir with a typo in one, or whether both really WERE looked for.
19
20 >> QA Notice: Security risk /usr/bin/crontab. Please consider relinking with
21 >> 'append-ldflags -Wl,-z,now' to fix.
22 >>
23 >> What's this mean? What are the implications?
24 >
25 > Actually, that is more a message for the developer. You can perform the
26 > same function locally with the LDFLAGS variable in your make.conf, but
27 > really the package should be fixed by the developer by adding the
28 > "append-ldflags -Wl,-z,now" to the ebuilds, as stated by the emerge
29 > process. This has all been since sfperms was added to the default
30 > FEATURES.
31
32 Thanks. That makes sense. Now I have what I need to fix it. As you
33 agreed, tho, even if it's meant primarily for the developer, security risk
34 messages without equally clear how-to-fix messages aren't really where
35 Gentoo should be. <g>
39 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
40 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
41 Benjamin Franklin
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list