From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Big change ideea
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:25:50
1 Alexandru Mincu wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I don't know if this has come up before so excuse me if I am repeating.
4 > I recently stumbled upon the following Linux distribution:
5 > http://www.gobolinux.org/
6 > They have an idea that Mac OS X implemented it when it first came out to
7 > be more user friendly.
8 > They are trying to remove the old UNIX file system scheme with the/bin
9 > /etc /usr /var, etc directories and are trying to implement a little
10 > more intuitive version of the file system hierarchy.
11 > I know the opinions on this are shared and some people like the old
12 > arrangement, but believe me I've seen lots of new users that come to
13 > Linux and don't understand a thing from the file system arrangement. I
14 > for one have learned this very well and I get used to it, but for the
15 > normal user things should be intuitive ...
16 > The compatibility problem can be solved by creating links for each
17 > directory in the old scheme to a new one that contains links to
18 > programs,libs,etc each in their place.
19 > I think Gentoo has the power to give the user this choice, and since
20 > Gentoo it's all about choices I think the developers here can make this
21 > happen and make it well.
22 > I propose a new USE flag or any other option that portage supports and
23 > the modifications needed to install each program in it's directory and
24 > create the links to their places.
25 > I want to ask the developer community if it is willing to put this in
26 > practice and give the Gentoo users another choice to make their Linux
27 > system the way they want it and like and understand it and not the way
28 > others do or did.
29 >
30 > Thanks all,
31 > Alex.
34 Aaaaiiiin't going to happen. Also, this subject has been beaten to death
35 before; search around the gentoo-dev archives on gmane.org. The latest
36 incarnation is from this thread in the forums:
37
38 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-182562-highlight-.html
39
40 Basically, if you want GoboLinux functionality, you use Gobo. Simple.