From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Is /var/cache the right place for repositories?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 06:37:33
1 Alexandre Rostovtsev posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:10:38 -0500 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 18:27 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 >> The FHS says:
6 >>
7 >> /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data
8 >> is locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or
9 >> calculation. The application must be able to regenerate or restore
10 >> the data.
11 >>
12 >> Now I wonder: After removal of e.g. the Portage tree from a system, it
13 >> is generally not possible to restore it. (It can be refetched, but not
14 >> to its previous state.)
15 >>
16 >> Same is true for distfiles
17
18 > But I think that the main portage and overlay checkouts are already
19 > cache-like in the sense that any manual user changes are automatically
20 > overwritten by "emerge --sync" / "layman -S", which the users are
21 > supposed to run on a sufficiently regular basis. So /var/cache does seem
22 > like a reasonable place for them.
23
24 I'd been wondering about the point others have made about "locally
25 generated", vs "Internet downloaded".
26
27 However, upon rereading the above FHS quote, it hit me -- "from
28 applications... locally generated... as a result of time-consuming I/O"
29 is actually pretty explicit. I believe the emphasis has been on "locally
30 generated", and the point that it explicitly includes "as a result of
31 time-consuming I/O" in the definition of "locally generated" has been
32 missed entirely. I know I missed it. But, if internet downloads
33 triggered by running a local app don't qualify as "generated as a result
34 of time-consuming I/O", what other I/O-basis generated files DO qualify
35 as cache? That seems to pretty explicitly include Internet downloads in
36 the definition, to me!
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman