From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How well supported is collision-protect?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:49:44
1 maillog: 28/04/2005-08:10:49(-0400): Michael Cummings types
2 > Have to pipe up on this as I get at least a half dozen bugs a week...
3 >
4 > On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:29 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
5 > > On a note, similar to the one about /usr/X11R6, I'd like to ask about
6 > > collision-protect.
7 > >
8 > > - How well is it expected to work?
9 > >
10 > Oh, it works, believe me, it works
11 >
12 > > - Do you guys expect bug reports about packages with conflicting
13 > > targets, with possible patches, etc?
14 >
15 > Expect is a big word. Let's just say I'm a bad dev and don't follow the list
16 > of new features in every release of portage (portage folks: i love ya, you
17 > know that, doesn't mean I follow all the new feature flags and all), so my
18 > introduction to collision-protect was when a half dozen bugs were filed one
19 > rainy morning. Perl is in a collidable situation because we offer ebuilds
20 > that supercede the modules that were installed with your version of perl (on
21 > account of packages needing newer modules but not newer perl's) - we get hit
22 > when the man pages go to merge. I'm hoping to alleviate (NOTE: not resolve)
23 > some of this when we can do versioned virtuals, but until then I sympathize
24 > with the bug posters and kindly ask them to disable collision protect until
25 > the module is installed.
26
27 Isn't there a way to avoid installing the modules with perl and PDEPEND
28 on them instead?
31 () Georgi Georgiev () It has been said that Public Relations is ()
32 () chutz@×××.net () the art of winning friends and getting ()
33 () +81(90)2877-8845 () people under the influence. -- Jeremy ()
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list