From: Philippe Trottier <tchiwam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rsync speed and space taken
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:14:47
1 Allen Parker wrote:
2
3 >For the person asking, yes, the machine is I/O limited... cel 2.4 128M
4 >ram 40G disk and LOTS of blog sites :(
7 Why not just having a directory / index and base the download / rsync
8 on what is needed ?
9
10 ls -1R /usr/portage is about 2.1MB ...
11
12 Then just fetch the (to be)installed ebuilds on a needed basis ?
13
14 >~45 minutes nonetheless is a *long* time to wait for an emerge sync to
15 >complete (or glsa-check for that matter). I second the suggestion of a
16 >seperate portion of the rsync mirror SPECIFICALLY for patches. perhaps
17 >with soft/hard-links from ${PN}/${FILESDIR} to ${PATCHDIR}/{$PN} ?
18 >shouldn't be too much harder to just grab what is needed on-use...
19 >carpaski? any ideas? perhaps a feature request for .52?
23 glsa should have it's own server/client system.
24
25 Other thing is, for production, no one NEEDS to upgrade stuff every
26 single day, if it works, it works. If you are a developer then you
27 probably already know how to use CVS, PORTAGE_OVERLAY etc etc and you
28 can put your emerge sync in a cron job at 3:00 in the morning...
29
30 For sysadmins, it is anyway a good idea to follow the glsa, I put it on
31 my startup page of my browser...
32
33 Phil
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list