From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-4.4 - call for testers
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 10:19:07
1 On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM, konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 16:03:11 +0800
4 >> konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I actually don't like the idea of enabling or disabling
7 >>> "installed-readline" based on the `${PV} != *_rc*` condition. If a
8 >>> user would want to explicitly enable "installed-readline" globally,
9 >>> how would he make sure that it only affects the release version of
10 >>> bash? I suggest that we just don't entertain the flag (and not make
11 >>> it available) if the ebuild is not targetting a release version, and
12 >>> not use the readline installed by the system by default. No one would
13 >>> need a non-release version of bash compiled against a system readline
14 >>> anyway.
15 >>
16 >> That's not what that does. It doesn't enable or disable the mechanic,
17 >> the code I offered only changes the default for _rc.
18 >>
19 >> That is, on _rc the default is "use bundled readline implementation",
20 >> and on non_rc, the default is "use pre-existing readline
21 >> implementation".
22 >>
23 >> if the user specifies an explicit
24 >>
25 >> USE="system-readline"
26 >>
27 >> in make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use, then this "default" gets
28 >> overridden and the system readline implementation is always used.
29 >>
30 >> if the user speciifies an explicit
31 >>
32 >> USE="-system-readline"
33 >>
34 >> in make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use, then this "default" gets
35 >> overriden and the inbuilt readline is awlays used.
36 >>
37 >> Explicitly defined configuration always trumps IUSE. The "+" prefix in
38 >> IUSE only specifies that the USE flag defaults to on, as opposed to
39 >> defaulting off.
40 >
41 > I understand those elementary stuff, but my point was about whether we
42 > should allow the user to configure 'system-readline' on a non-release
43 > version of bash (i.e. make the flag available for them to configure).
44 > Your point is that instead of statically deciding whether we shouldn't
45 > use `--with-installed-readline` through `${PV} != *_rc*`, we instead
46 > base it on the flag, which means we allow the users to change the
47 > behavior of -non-release- versions of bash, which is, compiling
48 > against the bundled readline, to compiling against the system readline
49 > instead.
50 >
51 > How would a user be able to apply a distinguishing global
52 > configuration which would apply differently when the installing bash
53 > version is a release version, and when it's not? You might say that
54 > `system-readline` is enabled by default in a release version anyway,
55 > so specifying `system-readline` explicitly is meaningless and should
56 > only be done if you want to change the behavior of non-release
57 > versions of bash. But that's not the point. It's about the
58 > consistency. When we specify use flags in /etc/portage/make.conf, it
59 > shouldn't depend on the current default "enability" of a package's use
60 > flag.
61 >
62 > Also, do you think there could be a helpful case that one would
63 > install a non-release version of bash that compiles against the system
64 > readline? Perhaps if you're also brave enough to install an
65 > pre-release version of readline to the system, there is.
66 >
67 > Again, I say that it's better that the 'installed-readline' flag or
68 > 'system-readline' flag is only made available in the release versions
69 > of bash. And we also don't want to make it a dummy where it is just
70 > ignored and not excluded.
71
72 I should also add that a dynamic "default" that varies depending on
73 the version doesn't sound good to me. For one at least, it confuses
74 the user.
77 konsolebox