From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge with interacitve use
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:23:42
1 On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 22:36, Panard wrote:
2 > Le Mardi 29 Avril 2003 22:12, Vano D a écrit :
3 > | Hi Panard,
4 > |
5 > | How about adding a little functionality to the script so it keeps which
6 > | USE vars the user chooses in a file like
7 > | /var/db/pkg/app-editors/vim-6.1-r21/USECUSTOM (that would be for vim :)?
8 > | I have checked the USE files but they all contain the complete $USE
9 > | variable when the package was emerged. So maybe if you add the
10 > | functionality so it adds a USECUSTOM file containing the USE vars the
11 > | user has chosen interactively then you could have an option at the
12 > | beginning of the interactive command asking:
13 > |
14 > | "Use previous USE flags for this package? (X gtk etc..) [Y/n]"
15 > |
16 > | If the user says Y, then you would extract the USE flags from USECUSTOM
17 > | and use those.
18 ...
19 > | This solves the scalibility problem and gives the user best of both
20 > | worlds. What do you think?
23 > Yes, I think that it's a really good functionnality to add! I will tried to
24 > find a way to do this... (but some help will be welcome, I just discover
25 > Python!)
26 >
27 > Thanks for your interest !
28
29 If I knew Python and had some time I would help. Although I will have
30 both soon hopefully. I think great things can be achieved with extending
31 Portage a little bit. So I think you did a great job with this.
32
33 Also one other idea I had in mind which I would like to work on one day
34 is the use of a database to keep all the /var portage information for
35 different machines in a network and somehow extend Portage to interface
36 with this database and use one central emerge command (probably with a
37 wrapper script) to administer all these machines. For now it's all
38 theory of course :)
39
40 BTW just added a reply-to header.
41