From: Arnold de Bruijn <arnold.linux@××××××.nl>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] new -r15.iso freezes when booting (due to empty memorystick-slot)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:33:24
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm running Gentoo linux -r14 on my Sony VAIO PCG-Z600TEK for a month
4 now and I absolutely love it, it's really fast!
5 This week I tried the new -r15.iso to test the added preliminary PCI
6 device autodetection and the USB-HID support. Just curious.
7
8 What happened was this.
9 When booting from cd, all the hardware is correctly recgnised, but when
10 the kernel tries to boot the memorystick it freezes.
11 My laptop has an internal memorystick-slot (i.e. a device to put a
12 memorystick/flashcard in). Internally this memorystick slot is
13 usb-connected and recognised as a scsi (??) storage-device. The kernel
14 tries to mount the device (just like any other harddisks) but since
15 there is no memorystick in the slot, there is nothing to be mounted.
16 That's where it goes wrong, the kernel freezes.
17
18 I had this same problem with -r14, not when booting from cd, but later,
19 on the first reboot after finishing the base install en compiling the
20 kernel. Then I solved this problem by adding the following line to my
21 /etc/fstab:
22 /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb-ms auto noauto,user,sync,exec 0 0
23 which prevents the device from mounting at boot time.
24
25 I don't really think this is a bug, but I can't use the new iso for this
26 reason. Hope this can be fixed on the next iso.
27
28 regards, Arnold