From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Theme "guidelines" (discussion)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:20:35
1 Hello,
2 I wanted to bring up some discussion about a point that struck me
3 recently as needing attention. Our themes, or the themes included with
4 applications.
7 Things to think about when doing a "Gentoo" theme for inclusion, or
8 *shudder* default :
9 Usability.
10 This means both in the motoric sense, all widgets should be obvious
11 (Good contrast value) and shouldn't be too tightly spaced (preventing
12 misclicks by motorically impaiered people.. Just about any person who
13 hasn't been sitting at a computer for a year ;)
14
15 This also includes things like a good sized font (relatively chosen)
16 -without- any dropshadow or other obscuring (blotching) additions that
17 make it harder to read.
21 Backgrounds:
22 Make sure to not use a high contrast background, details
23 are ok, but they shouldn't go in White against a Black background for
24 example, and try to avoid large areas of (again) intense
25 white/yellow/lightblue colours. Mainly because CRT monitors are
26 lightemitting, and highlighted sharp contrast values will hurt the eyes
27 of a user after a few hours.
28
29 Backgrounds:
30 In cases where the background "shines through" (GDM launchers for
31 example) its important that no details in the background are placed so
32 they obscure the transparent things in the foreground. Big changes
33 (like the ede of an object or suchlike) should not be placed so that the
34 things in the foreground can be affected by them.
35
36 Neither should patterned areas be used as backgrounds for textlabels.
39 Widgets:
40 Things like close/maximize/minimize icons on windows should be distinct
41 in some way (visible) and the icon representation in them should
42 preferrably span as much of the "hot" area as possible, as a user will
43 try to click the icon whenever possible, and will find small
44 representations difficult, even if the "hot" area is larger.
45
46 it's also important to try and have some spacing here, lest you'll end
47 up with people closing windows instead of maximizing them, and so on.
51 Togglestates:
52 For things like gtk+ and Qt, its also important that other widgets are
53 usable, that means trying to avoid the classic gtk+ toggle areas (small
54 grey thing thats either up or down, and pretty hard to notice which
55 state they are in) which were only saved by having a larger area around
56 the widget clickable.
61 okay, I'm by no means more than an armchair expert on this area, except
62 for having both motorical problems and some eyeproblems myself, so I've
63 been "bitten" by this in the past. hopefully this will prove enough
64 materials to make developers think a bit on how the themes they add look
65 :-)
68 Other than that, I'd really like it if all windowmanagers and Desktops
69 would include a "usable" theme per default. Most do so already, but for
70 those with more sensational looks, it could be something that we could
71 provide as an add-on so its avaiable.
75 .... let the flames erupt ;)
78 //Spider
84 begin .signature
85 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
87 end