From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: gzip-dict
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:41:46
1 В Срд, 17/12/2008 в 16:34 -0800, Donnie Berkholz пишет:
2 > Is that some huge package that takes an unreasonable amount of time to
3 > build or space to install?
4
5 Probably in this case it takes reasonable amount of time...
6
7 > If not, this doesn't seem like a very meaningful choice to me.
8
9 Well, your questions forced me to do my own investigation of gzip
10 performance in one real-life scenario which I hope to use really soon. I
11 took my Neo FreeRunner and tested gzip decompression speed there. Time
12 to read 10Mb file is about ~ 2.15s. But if I need to read and decompress
13 it at the same time it takes ~ 9.90s. So this makes times slower read of
14 compressed files. Since stardict reads all index files on each startup
15 and currently index files of my dictionaries occupy more than 20M this
16 makes much longer startup time. I have not checked runtime performance.
17 It'll be affected too but, probably, not too much since stardict will
18 decompress only required parts of data. But anyway gzip is not free and
19 it's better to have it optional.
22 Peter.