From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild life cycle review
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:21:19
1 Hi Samuel,
2
3 > I would like to leave a suggestion for Gentoo portage ebuild review.
4 > Since there are some ebuilds in portage that become outdated for more
5 > than one year when there are new versions available, maybe could be
6 > possible to add a new step in Gentoo QA service to generate an alarm
7 > (send email to project and CI leaders) to request a human review.
8
9 This service does already exist. Everybody can use repology [1], euscan
10 [2] and others.
11
12 Bumping a package needs time - especially for testing. I work a lot on
13 our bug tracker and my impression is that automatic bugs for a bump
14 request are contra productive. We already have many important, but easy
15 to fix open bugs.
16 Automatic tickets for packages will flood bugzilla with tickets for
17 unused packages and bind additional manpower.
18
19 We should reserve automatic tickets for important milestones. Such as
20 EAPI 0 removal or the removal of an obsolete eclass.
21
22 Version bumps will get easier and faster as automatic tests are improving.
23
24 There is a big effort in the area of Python packages already. But there
25 is still a lot to do for the next years.
26
27 What consumes a lot manpower for version bumps?
28
29 - Dependencies change upstream without documentation
30 - Tests are missing
31 - Tests are provided, but broken
32 - Build systems are not used as intended and we have to fix downstream
33 - The current workflow is still error prone and needs stronger
34 integration of tools for standard tasks. (Package tests, last riting,
35 removal, simple version bump, reassigning packages)
36 repoman ci can not help with edits in profiles for example, it lacks of
37 many QA tests. So you need finally additional test tools such as
38 dev-util/pkgcheck.
39
40 [1] https://repology.org/
41 [2] http://euscan.gentooexperimental.org