From: Bret Towe <magnade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rsync speed and space taken
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:38:16
1 On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 05:19:50 +0000, Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o> wrote:
2 > A. CALM DOWN
3 > B. One of the main reasons some devs like to push the limits of what can be
4 > in files/ is because it takes up to 8 hours for things to get to mirrors
5 > sometimes.
6 the time it takes could be changed
7
8 > C. There are some things that are going to be in the portage tree that are
9 > large that not everyone needs. That's just the way it is. No, we don't like
10 > it. No, there isn't much we can do about it.
11 yes there is you just dont want to
12
13 > D. Most devs know it's a problem. Most devs are also already overworked as
14 > is.
15 yes i hear that excuse alot
16
17 > E. If you really want to do some good, write a patch for repoman to kick
18 > people in the "jimmy jammy" when they try to commit big files.
19 > F. CALM DOWN
20
21 well here is another idea for you 'overworked' devs
22 make a new dir on rsync called patchfiles (like distfiles) ignored by
23 emerge sync
24 add a mirror:// item support to have emerge grab patchs requested by ebuilds
25 from that rsync location
26 this would allow the devs to keep their 30m mirrors
27 would make rsync in general speed up for users
28 rsync mirrors wouldnt be out any more space than they already are
29 also this could allow a setup so patchs dont have to go into cvs
30 which i think is better if gzip/bzip items are going to be in there