From: Sherman Boyd <meekrob@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub hdd references
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 01:05:05
1 Submit this suggestion to bugs.gentoo.org ... I think a little more work
2 on how grub labels drives is in order, especially with scsi ide combos.
3
4 Sherman Boyd
5 Gentoo Docs Wrestla
6 (meekrob_AT_gentoo.org)
9 On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 02:12, MAL wrote:
10 > Something I noticed when installing gentoo on my machine, that would indicate that the Gentoo documentation is a bit wrong, in reference to it's explaination of
11 > grub syntax.
12 >
13 > The layout of my IDE drives are:
14 >
15 > Primary IDE chain:
16 > Master: 8GB HDD (Windows)
17 > Slave: CD Writer
18 >
19 > Secondary IDE chain:
20 > Master: 45GB HDD (Linux)
21 > hdc1: boot
22 > hdc2: swap
23 > hdc3: root
24 > Slave: N/A
27 > I invoke grub, as per the instructions and wanting to install it to the primary master, pointing to linux on the secondary master, I enter the command:
28 >
29 > root (hd2,0)
30 >
31 > expecting this to select hdc1, as the documentation describes.. it doesn't. It tells me that that partition doesn't exist.
32 > Instead I have to use: root (hd1,0).
33 >
34 > I worked this out, (assuming that grub just counts hard drives along the chain and numbers them sequentially, rather than the hda->hd0, hdc->hd2 mappings that
35 > the docs indicate), newer users might not... documentation change?
36 >
37 > MAL
40 > gentoo-dev mailing list
41 > gentoo-dev@g.o