From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding a code of conduct
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:38:06
1 I disagree with fast-tracking this to any official Gentoo
2 documentation.
3
4 > Be considerate. Your work will be used by other people, and you in
5 > turn will depend on the work of others. Any decision you make will
6 > affect users and colleagues, and we expect you to take those
7 > consequences into account when making decisions.
8
9 All of this is obvious, except for who is "we"?
10
11 > Be respectful. The Gentoo community and its members treat one
12 > another with respect.
13
14 Odd to make this declarative statement when it isn't true.
15
16 > Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Gentoo.
17
18 They can? Making this kind of feel-good blanket statement just
19 detracts from the rest of this document.
20
21 > We may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for
22 > poor behaviour and poor manners. We might all experience some
23 > frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to
24 > turn into a personal attacks. It's important to remember that
25 > a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not
26 > a productive one.
27
28 This should be shortened to say just what it means: Developers will
29 have more fun, be more productive, and create a better distribution if
30 we concentrate on the issues instead of resorting to personal attacks.
31
32 > We expect members of the Gentoo community to be
33 > respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with
34 > people outside the Gentoo project, and with users of Gentoo.
35
36 Again, who is "we"?
37
38 > Be collaborative. Gentoo and Free Software are about collaboration
39 > and working together. Collaboration reduces redundancy of work done
40 > in the Free Software world, and improves the quality of the software
41 > produced. You should aim to collaborate with other Gentoo
42 > maintainers, as well as with the upstream community that is
43 > interested in the work you do. Your work should be done
44 > transparently and patches from Gentoo should be given back to the
45 > community when they are made, not just when the distribution
46 > releases. If you wish to work on new code for existing upstream
47 > projects, at least keep those projects informed of your ideas and
48 > progress. It may not be possible to get consensus from upstream or
49 > even from your colleagues about the correct implementation of an
50 > idea, so don't feel obliged to have that agreement before you begin,
51 > but at least keep the outside world informed of your work, and
52 > publish your work in a way that allows outsiders to test, discuss
53 > and contribute to your efforts.
54
55 This part makes sense, I think... though I don't see the point of
56 codifying it except to "throw the book" at the next Paludis. Frankly
57 I think Ciaran did nothing wrong to restrict distribution on a project
58 he didn't feel was ready for public consumption. It has always seemed
59 to me like the overreactions were the problem.
60
61 > When you disagree, consult others. Disagreements, both political and
62 > technical, happen all the time and the Gentoo community is no
63 > exception. The important goal is not to avoid disagreements or
64 > differing views but to resolve them constructively. You should turn
65 > to the community and to the community process to seek advice and to
66 > resolve disagreements. We have the Council, Infra, Devrel and Team
67 > Leaders all of which help you decide the right course for Gentoo.
68
69 What do you mean by "turn to the community and to the community
70 process"? I'm not sure what that entails. And I'm really not sure
71 I understand what the last sentence means.
72
73 > Repeated disruptive behaviors will be viewed as a security and
74 > stability threat to Gentoo.
75
76 Classic switching to the passive voice when the actor wishes to be
77 distanced from the action. WHO will view these behaviors as
78 a security and stability threat to Gentoo? Is this a statement the
79 existing developers are making? The foundation? Infra?
80
81 > Your access to Gentoo infrastructure may
82 > be suspended without notice if it is deemed that you fall into this
83 > category.
84
85 Again passive voice. WHO will suspect access without notice? WHO
86 will make the decision? (Clearly infra will implement it.) And
87 doesn't "without notice" somehow void the "consult others" bit
88 earlier?
89
90 > If your account is suspended, you will still retain full
91 > developer status -- you will simply not have access to Gentoo
92 > infrastructure. You may continue to do development work during your
93 > suspension.
94
95 This is bogus. If a person's account is suspended, they don't have
96 commit access, they're temporarily not a developer. Mincing words
97 doesn't change things.
98
99 > You may elect to save up your changes until such a point
100 > where your access has been reinstated, or you may work with another
101 > developer to have them commit changes on your behalf. If you choose
102 > the latter option, please ensure members of the Infrastructure
103 > project have reviewed and approved the proxy relationship to avoid
104 > having access cut off for both developers.
105
106 Anybody can submit work to a developer who can proxy that work into
107 Gentoo. What is this new proxy approval process that Infra has
108 decided to enforce?
109
110 > If your account is suspended, you may request a hearing with
111 > developer relations which can then make recommendation that your
112 > account be re-instated or permanently disabled if they are unable to
113 > address the problem with your behavior with you.
114
115 Clearly this sentence states that Infra has usurped the suspension
116 process. It's very disappointing since Devrel has put so much work
117 into a process that has been demoted to "recommendation" status.
118
119 Aron
120 --
121 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list