From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:38:06
1 On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 14:53 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > the herd of voip packages is constantly growing and according to
5 > "herdstat -p voip" we already have 60 packages in the voip herd. Those are
6 > currently in the categories net-misc, net-im, net-libs, dev-libs and
7 > media-libs. Most of them would fit perfectly into a new net-voip category.
8 > Those are enough packages to allow the creation of a new category.
9 >
10 > More important than the current packages I think it is to put new packages
11 > into the more precise net-voip instead of net-misc/net-im. For example some
12 > packages in my overlay [1] maintained by the fellow gentoo users peper and
13 > fuoco. Also there is a lot of stuff waiting in stkn's private voip overlay
14 >
15 > The 47 voip packages in net-misc and net-im should be moved over to the new
16 > category definitely, you can get the list with:
17 > herdstat -p voip | grep -e net-im -e net-misc
18 > From the others I think dev-libs/ilbc-rfc3951 should be moved, too.
21 Creation of a new categories is fine. pkg moves are bad.
22 See the countless other posting on this subject of why pkg
23 moves are bad.
24
25 > Any objections, problems with the plan, comments?
26
27 Sure I'll step up and say I object to the part of your plan which
28 involves a shitton of pkgmoves. Moving pkgs from existing categories
29 into another category causes numerous problems that portage can't solve
30 as easy as the rest of us might think so please just don't do that
31 part. I've got no objection to the creation of a new category for *new*
32 packages.
37 > [1] http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/dev/genstef/net-im
40 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
41 Gentoo Linux