From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last Rites: app-portage/udept
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 06:50:41
1 Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> posted
2 4946FB3F.1090703@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Tue, 16 Dec 2008
3 01:50:07 +0100:
4
5 > It happens to me sometimes that I forget --oneshot and packages are
6 > added to the world file that are not intended to be there. So this
7 > option gives an overview over packages in world that have no reverse
8 > dependencies and thus are probably not needed.
9
10 FWIW, that's why I originally merged udept. However, by that time I had
11 gotten used to using a set of (local) stub scripts that added in all the
12 appropriate switches, including --oneshot, so once I used udept to clean
13 up the mess I had created before that, as a Gentoo noob, I was fine. I
14 didn't have to worry about using udept for that any more.
15
16 I'd suggest a similar solution for you, either stub scripts as I use, or
17 make use of EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to put --oneshot in there. If you use
18 the latter, you can then create a stub using --ignore-default-opts
19 --noreplace to add the (presumably already merged) entries to your world
20 file.
21
22 I actually use --oneshot when merging new stuff now, thus effectively
23 giving me a "temporary/testing" merge option. Then if I decide to keep
24 it, I run my stub-script to add it to world, and until I either do that
25 or delete it, it stays listed in the --pretend --depclean run I do
26 routinely after my weekly update. =:^)
27
28 (If you're interested in my stub scripts, mail me offlist and ask. I can
29 tarball them up and send them to you, along with a description of the
30 "method to my madness." I've considered creating a proper package for
31 them as I imagine quite a few people would find it useful, but I haven't,
32 yet, and in some ways, they're almost too trivial to package. Maybe if I
33 had someone else test them and tell me whether they found them useful
34 enough to be worth packaging... You may also find Steve Long's emerge
35 helper script useful. It's a bit more featureful than my stub scripts,
36 which are pretty much just bare emerge wrappers. I believe it can be
37 found in the forums.)
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman