From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic dependencies
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 09:15:43
1 On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 21:31:04 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2015-09-16, o godz. 17:49:24
5 > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > Hi all,
8 > >
9 > > here's a quote from the Council 20140826 summary:
10 > >
11 > > > Dynamic dependencies in Portage
12 > > > ===============================
13 > > > During discussion, is was remarked that some changes, e.g. to
14 > > > dependencies in eclasses, could require mass rebuilds of packages.
15 > > >
16 > > > Vote:
17 > > > - "The council asks the Portage team to first outline their
18 > > > long-term plan regarding removal or replacement of dynamic
19 > > > dependencies, before they remove this feature. In particular,
20 > > > tree policies and the handling of eclasses and virtuals need to
21 > > > be clarified." Accepted unanimously.
22 > >
23 > > Since there seems to be interest in the Portage team to go ahead
24 > > with that plan, I'd like to ask about the tree policies and the
25 > > handling of eclasses and virtuals.
26 > >
27 > > I guess we'd appreciate this as a prerequisite for being able to
28 > > give the plan future council support.
29 >
30 > How about the usual 'common sense' policy? Assuming the developer
31 > understands the consequences of bumping and not bumping, and can see
32 > for himself if the latter breaks stuff (which would happen once
33 > portage finally changes the default behavior and makes failures
34 > non-random).
35
36 +1000
37
38 Moreover, as you said, it is included in the good old policy, which is
39 even a quizz question iirc:
40
41 1. You change a package's ebuild to install an init script.
42 Previously, the package had no init script at all.
43 Is a revision bump necessary? Why? What about when adding a
44 patch?
48 For virtuals, they are simply packages that install only VDB entries, so
49 the above applies too.
50 For eclasses, I think we all agree that it is better to store them in
51 VDB too (otherwise we can't remove them, ever), so again the above
52 applies.
55 Alexis.