From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: antarus@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:17:48
1 On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:49:17 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The caching may not be of use, depending on your configuration. (For
5 > example, if you use a gentoo-x86 checkout as your main repo, you will
6 > probably want to run generate cache entries whenever you cvs up.) It
7 > is there to cache ebuild metadata, because if your depgraph has a few
8 > thousand nodes, having to spawn bash to generate the metadata for
9 > every node is very expensive.
10
11 It sounds crazy to use gentoo-x86 without a cache; to some extent, the
12 earlier mentions on this ML by Ciaran that we should improve input
13 would make more sense if would want to run without a cache. But I feel
14 like this shouldn't be a topic of discussion unless we intent 'works
15 fast on a plain CV checkout' to be an actual feature.
16
17 I haven't checked, but doesn't Portage in that case build its own cache?
18
19 > It is helpful for users cause it can automatically find solutions for
20 > users that are otherwise unsolvable (and thus avoids the user having
21 > to find a solution to the depgraph manually.)
22
23 If we document how to process --depgraph=0 output, I believe it could
24 just as well be used; but yes, it basically involves having to run a
25 few manual upgrades (emerge -1 ...) and/or masks to get going. But you
26 can do those things in seconds rather than to wait a few minutes...
27
28 Some of these Portage could even do automatically regradless, like for
29 instance the 'no parents' slot conflicts; in which case I think you can
30 just always upgrade to the newer version, instead of outputting them it
31 put them as upgrades at the end of the emerge list I think. But I
32 haven't investigated that further, I'm just getting tired of seeing 'em.
35 With kind regards,
36
37 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
38 Gentoo Developer
39
40 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
41 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
42 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D