From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:07:16
1 Josh Saddler napsal(a):
2 > I completely disagree with your assessment of the in-kernel hda-intel
3 > state. My workstation uses one of those (labelled nVidia MCP 55, for the
4 > curious), and my experiences with in-kernel ALSA have been nothing but
5 > positive with the intel audio, whether compiled or as modules.
6
7 I could say the same about your assessment of the in-kernel hda-intel
8 drivers, as could many other users... Same for via82xx - never had much
9 luck with the in-kernel drivers, plus upgrading the whole kernel over
10 and over again just to test whether something got fixed is a major PITA.
11
12 As said, these are two different branches, what works for somebody
13 doesn't need to work for someone else.
14
15 > For the record, the kernel and alsa team have gone back and forth on
16 > this for a long time -- and it's always been my task to update the ALSA
17 > guide for whichever "wins", or at least that's how it's been lately. The
18 > thing about ALSA upstream not accepting certain bugs -- I'm not sure
19 > Diego ever mentioned any such thing; is this really true?
20
21 I really don't get these fights, the two things can co-exist quite
22 nicely and users can benefit from this. What's this need to 'deprecate'
23 the external stuff once again about? (And yeah, ALSA upstream doesn't
24 deal with in-kernel drivers bugs.)
25
26 > At the very least, this should cut down on spurious bug reports on our
27 > own bugzilla. However, it'd be nice from the point of view of the GDP if
28 > the kernel and ALSA maintainers would decide, once and for all, what
29 > should be supported and what shouldn't, whether in-kernel or
30 > alsa-drivers is recommended. Because it's been going back and forth for
31 > years as to which gets priority in the docs. Pick something for the
32 > users to install and stick with it, please.
33
34 Both should be supported, as explained above. Spurious bugs? Not really
35 sure what you mean.
36
37 And no, kernel 2.4 is definitely not *the* reason to keep the external
38 alsa drivers supported (Frankly I'd be very happy to see the whole 2.4
39 kernel branch declared as unsupported on Gentoo - noone's really testing
40 anything against those kernels these days and the bugs are lingering
41 there for ages as noone cares; even the 2.4 kernels we still have in the
42 tree are pretty much unmaintained).
46 Best regards,
47
48 Jakub Moc
49 mailto:jakub@g.o
50 GPG signature:
51 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
52 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
53
54 ... still no signature ;)