From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RE: creating ebuilds
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:21:22
1 On Wednesday 07 January 2004 01:18 am, Jeff Stuart wrote:
2 > I have to agree with Allen on this. I submitted some ebuilds for some
3 > WindowMaker apps almost 3 or 4 months ago. Since then, I've moved on and
4 > switched WM's twice. LOL Yet, my ebuilds are STILL sitting in bugzilla yet
5 > to be reviewed. Every once in a while, I'll get a comment about one or two
6 > of the submitted ebuilds. And to be frank, since I'm not using it anymore,
7 > I could care LESS what happens to em.
8
9 I don't want to seem condescending here, but you're saying that you submitted
10 ebuilds for programs that you yourself aren't even continuining to use yet
11 are irritated that someone else didn't pick them up for maintainership?
12
13 It's not that there's some pending queue for ebuilds to be reviewed; they
14 simply need to have an audience. And one person in that audience has to be a
15 developer. My guess is that there just wasn't much interest by any current
16 dev. for these applications.
17
18 If there's no developer who is willing to take on an ebuild, yet there's a
19 substantial need for it within the community, then we simply need another
20 developer. But somebody has to be willing to fill that niche.
21
22 I think of it like this: I used to be the coordinator of the KDevelop project,
23 and we would get feature requests all of the time. Some of the good ideas
24 were relatively minor. Others, while also good ideas, were these major
25 undertakings that nobody already on the team was all that interested in. If
26 someone were willing to come along and do what it took to implement them,
27 they would be welcome with open arms. But instead, it was easier for people
28 to just tell us what they wanted.
29
30 > It annoys me (on a scale of 1 - 10 where 10 is full blown anger, it's
31 > definitely a 1!) that user submitted ebuilds can take a WHILE to get
32 > approved. (Note: the ebuilds that I had submitted for the XFCE 4 rc
33 > releases on the other hand were accepted within days of me submitting
34 > em. :)) Kinda removes the feel that "power" is in the user's hands.
35
36 The power is always in the users' hands. I think you'll agree that you can
37 basically do anything you want with Gentoo. The only caveat is that if you
38 want your ebuild to become an offical part of Gentoo, it needs a developer to
39 sponsor it. If that doesn't happen, and you still really want it to be a
40 part of Gentoo, then you need to seek out becoming a developer yourself. It
41 is possible. It just takes some effort. :)
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list