From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sandboxes
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:52:10
1 Thomas Cort wrote:
2 >> Thoughts on ideas on this somewhat more focussed idea? ( or at least I
3 >> think it's more focused :P )
4 >
5 > Will there be restrictions on what can go into these overlays? There
6 > are some ebuilds that aren't allowed in the main portage tree. One
7 > example is winex-cvs (see
8 > app-emulation/winex-cvs/winex-cvs-3000.ebuild for details).
9
10 Interesting comments, and I cannot blame them too much.
11
12 > Another
13 > example... an overlay dev could take an existing ebuild that has
14 > RESTRICT="fetch" and modify it to fetch the package directly without
15 > user interaction.
16
17 Yes, this one is a good example.
18
19 So, in order not to be utterly responsible for distributing such things
20 as *semi-offcial* gentoo work, I'd suggest just providing a bit easier
21 way to use external overlays than the current one (which is easy enough
22 once you set it up, but generally hard for n00bs).
23
24 I have my own overlay for quite some time and it had helped a few people,
25 not counting me (/me != dev) [1]
26
27 [1] http://rsync.tar.bz/
28
29 I know this is always a topic on whether to have a knife is good or bad,
30 and whether just possessing a gun makes you a bad guy...
31 Same is here - if there is a possibility some people will eventually
32 abuse it. But is this enough to disallow it whatsoever.
33
34 Kalin.
39 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list