From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 17:20:41
1 On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/26/2017 11:21 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> The same applies to #123456 in the summary line, though. I don't see a
4 >> good reason for using a URL after the "Bug:" keyword as long as bare
5 >> numbers are used elsewhere.
6 >
7 > For Bug you'd often refer to upstream reports or other distros, so you
8 > need it in a generic form which url provides, having a separate
9 > Gentoo-Bug properly defined to ID only solves the ambiguity.
12 I was thinking that it would make far more sense to use "Bug" for
13 Gentoo bugs, and use something like "Reference" or "Remote-Bug" for
14 non-Gentoo bugs. 99% of the time commits will reference a Gentoo bug.
15 If you wanted to reference others you'd probably have it linked in the
16 Gentoo bug anyway so duplicating it in the commit seems wasteful.
17
18 In any case, I think what matters is picking one format and then
19 sticking it in the repoman template so that people don't have to type
20 it.
21
22 Also, I suggest using either URLs or bug numbers, but not both.
23 Otherwise you end up having to copy the URL over, then copy the ID
24 only and paste it in the summary. That is an extra step.
27 Rich