From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:16:44
1 Please never ever reply to me off list.
2
3 On Friday 28 November 2003 22:57, brett holcomb wrote:
4 > Because I've finally found a distro that works. I've
5 > watched Unix mess up the desktop, been condemmed to use
6 > Windows for years, used Linux and suffered the RPM mess.
7 > I finally found Gentoo which is an almost perfect distro.
8 > It provides a large number of packages, is easy to
9 > install, maintain, and upgrade and allows us choice in
10 > what we want to run. And then people want to Debianize
11 > Gentoo. Yes, they still do - that's not dead by any
12 > means. It shows in some of the comments and in the
13 > attitude of which "immoral licenses" was one I've received
14 > in this thread. It's an attitude that anyone who uses
15 > non-free isn't worth consideration so let a third party
16 > fill in the gaps or they can go elsewhere. Well, we can't.
17 > The free only can always go to Debian - we only can go
18 > back to RPM distros! It appears choice is good as long
19 > it's free-only.
20
21 While some people may have that attitude it never makes its way into anything
22 that is released with Gentoo. Do you think this sort of debate has never came
23 up before?
24
25 > I have no problem with adding license handling being
26 > modified so that all of us can build systems as we desire
27 > and that allow us to do our jobs. I do have a problem
28 > with Gentoo being changed so that we who use non-free
29 > software have to make the changes - why should we. If
30 > someone is that hot to have it change let them make the
31 > changes to their make.conf or whatever file. Yes, even
32 > having to do that change may be a small item but the
33 > camel's nose appeared small when he first shoved it under
34 > the tent. I've said more than I should so I'll just
35 > watch and see what happens.
36
37 Most new Linux users assume that everything associated with Linux is free. The
38 only reason I can see to have a default of "free-only" licenses is to make
39 sure those users are aware of the agreement under which they're using the
40 software. As well as that, many users who use "non-free" software (myself
41 included) are interested in the terms under which they are using it. Your
42 opinion doesn't sound so much like the free vs. non-free; it sounds like
43 those who care about licensing vs. those who don't.
44
45 The addition of licensing to Gentoo is in no way related to the free vs.
46 non-free debate; only the defaults is. When the defaults are decided it won't
47 be by a vote on free vs. non-free; it will be decided with valid reasoning as
48 in the above. Until there is (at least some) concensus on that reasoning, the
49 decision will not be finalised.
50
51 Jason
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list