From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild info: author, maintainer and copyrights
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:21:24
1 On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 10:08, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
2 > > Do I have this wrong?
3 > Yes. you do have this wrong ;)
4
5 No, chouser was right. I'm getting a bit worried by this trend of
6 Junior Gentoo Linux developers "explaining" Gentoo Linux policy when
7 they have no idea what said policy is.
8
9 > First of all, once contributions are GPL-ed , the fact that you do not
10 > own the copyright does not prevent you from distributing/modifying etc.
11 > So having all copyright go to Gentoo Inc. will not make your life easier
12 > if you want to continue the open-souce path.
13 >
14 > Second, you _can_not_ *require* contributors to give up their copyright.
15 > People can actualy get concerned about the Gentoo feature and intentions
16 > if you do. _If_ Gentoo Inc. will have all the copyrights, then _nothing_
17 > will prevent it one day changing the license for all _future_ versions.
18 > The fact that no single entity/person has all the copyright is
19 > a Good Thing (tm).
20
21 All ebuilds should be Copyrighted by Gentoo Technologies, Inc. or should
22 generally not be put on Portage. We may need to change the license in
23 the future, from:
24
25 # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or
26 later
27
28 To:
29
30 # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 only
31
32 Particularly if something weird gets added to a new version of the GPL.
33 If we have multiple copyright holders, doing this becomes a mess.
34
35 Best Regards,
38 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
39 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org