From: Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Why do packages which will not build remain in the distribution list?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:11:36
1 For the last week or so, there have been packages in the "world"
2 distribution list which previously installed fine which currently do not,
3 these include ruby-gdkpixbuf2, ruby-pango, ruby-gtk2, ruby-gnomecanvas2,
4 ruby-gnome2 and ruby-libglade2 (this is on an x86 system). My reading of
5 the bug reports suggest that this is a problem with the ruby/gentoo config
6 scripts. If so, ok fine, then pull them from the "world" distribution until
7 such scripts/ebuilds/patches are available. Please do not leave them in the
8 world distribution list when they are known to be defective. It appears
9 that there may be some oversight/direction lacking with respect to what
10 makes up the QA with respect to distributed (e.g. "approved") packages which
11 have known problems.
12
13 For people who attempt to update their systems on a nightly basis and
14 provide feedback to the Gentoo developers, this can be an annoying situation
15 (it may require the expansion/contraction of scripts which enable/disable
16 nightly builds).
17
18 I understand if there is a problem with the upstream source which may take
19 months to fix for the bug reports to percolate up and solutions to percolate
20 down, but in the mean time end users should not be subjected to packages
21 known to be problematic (and thus the packages should be pulled from the
22 world distribution list).
23
24 Robert