From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:38:11
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Daniel Robbins [mailto:drobbins@g.o]
3
4 > > Option 4 I dismiss. If we create USE flags for every shared
5 > library and util
6 > > which might possibly be used by another package, there will
7 > be a hundred
8 > > falgs or more and a user won't be able to take time to
9 > understand the meaning
10 > > of each and decide on setting it or not.
11 >
12 > The solution is to use option 4. As soon as I have the dev
13 > team reorganized,
14 > I'll be adding some much-needed USE upgrades to portage. In
15
16 If everything is to be a USE variable then things will end up getting
17 unmanageable pretty quickly. Either that or you will have to make tradeoffs
18 between configurability and manageability.
19
20 For what it's worth, my opinion is that USE variables should apply across
21 the system as system defaults. As Dan pointed out, if you get too many of
22 them then the sheer volume of them will overwhelm even an intermediate user.
23
24 At the moment the only way to fine tune a package is to tweak the .ebuild.
25 When I created the .ebuild for STLport I decided that I would use the SGI
26 iostream libraries rather than wrappers around the system libraries. That's
27 fine for me, but it might create compatibility problems for your code. Now I
28 guess we could create a SGI_IO USE variable but the only package to which
29 this will be applicable is STLport. Surely an interactive mode or even just
30 command line specified variable would be a better solution. Your average
31 user would not be confronted with any change in user interface, nor would
32 (s)he need to figure a whole whack of obscure USE variables.
33
34 Another consideration is when there are multiple USE variables from which to
35 choose.
36
37 Take the case of Qt, GTK+, and Motif. Suppose you have a package that can
38 use any of them (no I don't know of any such packages). You would likely
39 have GTK, QT, and MOTIF all defined as USE variables, but which to use?
40 While an ebuilder can decide an order of preference, we're back to having to
41 like someone else's preferences. Furthermore, while I may prefer Qt for
42 package X, package Y is just so much better with GTK+.
43
44 Cheers,
45
46 Sean
50 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
51 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
52 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
53 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
54 ICQ# 104246806