From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Checking availability of a package from an ebuil d
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:49:08
1 > No I mean when _writing_ an ebuild, I want it to do different
2 > things based on
3 > whether some packages are installed.
6 But should you? I guess it really depends on the specifics of what you are
7 doing, but as a general statement I think that an ebuild shouldn't make a
8 decision on how to build a package based on the fact that I currently have
9 something installed. I think the USE variables (plus the system you proposed
10 earlier) are the Way.
11
12 Let's say I install vorbis (to continue our earlier discussion) to play
13 around with for a while but I don't set the USE for it. I decide I don't
14 like it and unmerge it. In the meantime I've merged a bunch of audio
15 utilities that have decided to build in vorbis support and now get snivelly
16 because it's not there anymore.
17
18 This may not be in the least applicable to the situation you are working on,
19 but I think it merits a mention....
20
21 Cheers,
22
23 Sean
24
26 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
27 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
28 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
29 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
30 ICQ# 104246806