From: Joshua Baergen <joshuabaergen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] X.Org 7.1 is Stable
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:29:33
1 X.Org 7.1 has been released from its binary driver jail to the
2 (un?)stable masses! Does it build? Only on Tuesdays! Does it run?
3 Often! Will it damage your system? I like cheese!
4
5 A summary of new features, quoted from the GWN:
6
7 "This release features the addition of accelerated indirect GLX (AIGLX),
8 which allows for eye candy such as the Compiz window/compositing
9 manager, as well as running 3D accelerated display walls with Xdmx.
10 X.Org 7.1 also integrates the kdrive (TinyX) servers for embedded
11 systems into the xorg-server package with the kdrive USE flag. The
12 kdrive integration additionally provides Xephyr, an enhanced Xnest-like
13 client. Numerous video drivers also received significant updates."
14
15 I also add that many, many bugs were fixed. To run Compiz using AIGLX,
16 xorg-server must be build with the "aiglx" USE-flag. This is known to
17 cause some EXA slowdowns (bug #147841).
18
19 Joshua Baergen