From: "Michael C. Ferguson" <mcf@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] iptables
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:14:17
1 On Wednesday 07 July 2004 04:57 pm, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 > I noticed the other day that recent versions of iptables have
4 > removed ipforwarding support and suggest that the user add
5 > echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/forwarding
6 > to /etc/conf.d/local.start to enable IP forwarding.
7
8 Yes -- if you are curious why, I wrote a small comment in bug 14761. (Az you
9 can close this bug any time...)
10
11 > Instead of adding that string to local.start, wouldn't it be better
12 > to direct the user to uncomment the appropriate line in
13 > /etc/sysctl.conf?
14
15 Really, yes, since there has been talk on lkml about removing the /proc
16 interface for doing things like this, in favor of using sysctl, sysfs, or
17 basically anything else. IMHO, our best option is to integrate ALL of the
18 net.ipv4 and net.ipv6 options into the net.* scripts, where they belong; in
19 fact, many net.ipv4.conf options already are in the net scripts, and there is
20 already a bug open for this type of feature (48968).
25 -- mcf
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list