From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: svyatogor@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-headers ebuild version.
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:03:20
1 On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:20, Svyatogor wrote:
2 > AFAIK the version of headers and of kernel are supposed to be the same. But in
3 > this case, I'll have vanilla-sources-2.4.21 and say my iptables will be build
4 > against headers for 2.4.19.
5 >
6 > My question is: are there any plans to bump up the version of the headers
7 > package, or it is obsolete. In the later case, I guess, no package should
8 > depend on virtual/os-headers any more, but rather on virtual/linux-sources
9 > (or probably the *sources, shoudl provide os-headers).
10
11 The headers should be the same ones used to compile glibc. i.e. the
12 headers should match the library object files. Its been said many times
13 that /usr/include/{linux,asm} should not be symlinked to the kernel
14 sources.
17 Chris PeBenito
18 <pebenito@g.o>
19 Developer, SELinux
20 Hardened Gentoo Linux
21
22 "Engineering does not require science. Science helps
23 a lot, but people built perfectly good brick walls
24 long before they knew why cement works."-Alan Cox
25
26 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
27 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243