From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Export Package Manager Cached Information. (Was: RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 13:01:00
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've incorporated suggestions from the previous round of discussions in
4 the GLEP. In particular, note that I also changed the title to avoid
5 referring to VDB as the means for caching. Each package manager can
6 decide how to cache the information internally.
7
8 The working copy is at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Blueness/GLEP64
9
10 The essential point I'm trying to make is: 1) there is information
11 generated when a PM builds+installs a package. 2) some of this
12 information is expensive to regenerate. 3) there are utilites that
13 would like to make use of this information. 4) to spare these utilites
14 the expense of regenerating this information, all package managers
15 should cache this information and then export it via a common API.
16
17 Thanks in advance for your time!
20 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
21 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
22 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
23 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
24 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA