From: "Christopher Díaz Riveros" <chrisadr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Personall Gentoo Installer project pre-beta release
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 15:20:41
1 Good day devs and users:
2
3 A couple of months ago I shared with you a similar email about my personal
4 project. I'm very glad to say that I'm about to release the 'beta' in a couple
5 of weeks.
6
7 This beta version adds new stuff like:
8
9 -experimental TUI interface: Right now it's only designed to enable a user to
10 launch the installer from any specific point from installation (selecting a step
11 from 11 different options). But it is easily scalable to add new windows and
12 steps into the TUI.
13
14 -internationalization support: Right now installer works on English and
15 Spanish, it would be awesome if any dev with experience in German (Mein Deutsch
16 ist sehr verschlechtert und ich brauche viel Übung), or any other language that
17 you consider would be good to have in the installer.
18
19 -installer now installs itself inside the new Gentoo system to avoid manual
20 installation inside the new Gentoo system. (Thanks to NP_Hardass for the idea)
21
22 Still on the TODO list:
23
24 -next step will be to create an ebuild for installer, I may need some help
25 there but it should be pretty simple.
26
27 -still some validations: installer error messages are quite hard to understand
28 if you are installing Gentoo for the first time (my fault), so I'll be working
29 on better error messages.
30
31 -Ask if there is a way to add installer in the liveUSB so that people don't
32 need to install it manually in order to begin a Gentoo installation.
33
34 As last time, you can see the repo here:
35
36 https://github.com/ChrisADR/installer
37
38 Hope you have a great weekend,
39 --
40 Christopher Díaz Riveros
41 Gentoo Linux Developer
42 GPG Fingerprint: E517 5ECB 8152 98E4 FEBC 2BAA 4DBB D10F 0FDD 2547