From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AMD64 Arch Testers needed urgently
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 20:21:17
1 On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 2017-12-14 21:06, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 >> packages, would that preclude my system from being able to help?
5 >
6 > Yes. Only clean stable systems are eligible for arch testing. That's the
7 > whole idea of arch testing... ;)
8 >
9 > Remember that mixed systems aren't officially supported.
12 It seems like lagging stability is due to a lack of resources. I do
13 not know a single person who would be able to run only stable
14 packages. They seem to move too slowly, and people switch to unstable
15 packages because they contain bugfixes and sometimes new features.
16
17 Could the criteria for stability be reconsidered? Mixed systems might
18 not be supported, but save for cases of ABI/API breakage (which can
19 happen when transitioning from stable->stable) I do not know why the
20 packages would not play well with each other. I am sure there are
21 examples where things have blown up, but it seems like expecting that
22 to be the case isn't helping.
23
24 Cheers,
25 R0b0t1