From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:09:50
1 On 24 May 2012 08:32, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Sure.  The slow commit rate encourages careful deliberation before
4 > hitting the enter key, which therefore improves quality.
5 >
6 > Then, if you do make a mistake the slow commit rate means that fixing
7 > that mistake can take a long time, which increases the amount of pain
8 > our end-users run into due to the mistake, which leads to lots of
9 > flame wars on -dev.  That means that the guy who made the mistake is
10 > subjected to more public ridicule, and is less likely to do it again,
11 > That improves quality too.
12 >
13 > Since cvs doesn't tie together tree-wide changes in a nice way or
14 > allow them to be transactionally completed, individual package
15 > maintainers don't need to be as concerned with the big picture view.
16 > Now as the maintainer of libfoo the fact that somebody changed my
17 > ebuild without making a corresponding change in some profile is
18 > completely hidden from me, and I can go to sleep peacefully without
19 > realizing that my users are all going to have horribly broken systems
20 > in the morning.  Blissful ignorance of end-user suffering improves
21 > developer morale, and helps get rid of pesky users at the same time.
22 >
23 > cvs also makes more more aware of what is going on around me.  Anytime
24 > I want to work on something in parallel with the main development
25 > branch I get to manually merge changes in, which keeps me aware of my
26 > place in the world.  That means that I'm less likely to build nice new
27 > features, which means fewer bugs, which improves quality, and may even
28 > drive away users as an added bonus!
29 >
30 > See, cvs is really the wave of the future!
31 >
32 > Rich
36 <meta name="sarcasm" value="on" />
37
38 This CVS stuff sounds a bit too uppity and unstable to me, sounds like
39 we should go back to the tried and true code collaboration by
40 date-stamped tarballs of the tree which are centralised once a week to
41 a master tarball.
46 Kent
47
48 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,