From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Having fun with compression
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 12:15:01
1 On 30/04/06, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I had this random idea that many of our distfiles are .tar.gz while more
5 > efficient compression methods exist. So I did some testing for fun:
6
7 If you already have an old copy of the distfile it's much more
8 bandwidth efficient to transfer deltas. Many Gentoo users rarely clean
9 out /usr/portage/distfiles so it could be quite a bandwidth saving to
10 use something like zsync http://zsync.moria.org.uk/ .
11
12 I did some tests a long time ago and found that a version bump of a
13 package like kdegraphics produced a 300k uncompressed diff, which was
14 25x more bandwidth efficient to transfer with rsync than to download
15 the full bz2 file. I haven't played with zsync yet, but the technical
16 paper suggests it is close to 'rsync -z' in terms of bandwidth
17 efficiency, and it removes some of the drawbacks of rsync, such as
18 high server load and the requirement to run a special daemon.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list