From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Gentoo infra backups
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:27:03
1 Michael Krelin wrote:
2 > Reading comparisons is one thing and using is the other. But the thing
3 > is, gentoo ends up with central repository, anyway. Provided the
4 > repository is less ancient than CVS (which is basically subversion),
5 > distributed users can branch it without having to have commit access.
6 > This hybrid model makes much more sense to me than forcing everyone to
7 > use DSCM. I have exercised the approach on overlay before I was granted
8 > commit access and now continue to work the same way pushing my branches
9 > back to svn. I think this possibility totally invalidates the very idea
10 > of DSCM importance.
11 >
12 This makes a lot of sense. Since there are people who offer facilities,
13 perhaps a good answer is "Please set up a mirror of our anoncvs as this
14 will enable quicker disaster recovery." That would give redundancy for 98%
15 of the material, as noted, and is easily done.
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list